How to make Rajma Curry
Rajma has been a beloved dish for many Indian households for generations. The cooking process takes simple red kidney beans and transforms them into a decadent, rich and creamy dish.
Today we wanted to share this dish with you. Check out the full video and recipe below.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup red kidney beans
- 4 cups of water
- 1/2 finely chopped onion
- 2-3 roma tomatoes finely chopped
- 2-3 thai chillies
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. ginger paste
- 1 tsp. organics daily red chili powder
- 1 tsp. organics daily cumin powder
- 1 tsp. organics daily coriander powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1/4 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1-2 tsp. of butter
Recipe for Rajma - Serves 2-3
- Use a pressure cooker and add 1 cup of rajma followed by 4 cups of water. Let rajma cook for 20-25 minutes (3 to 4 whistles from pressure cooker). Make sure beans are soft and slightly cracked. Put beans aside for cooking later and save the water which will be used as gravy for the rajma dish
- In a separate pot add olive oil and cumin seeds. Let this toast for 30-45 seconds on medium to high heat
- Add finely chopped onions, garlic and ginger paste and mix for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and thai chilies and mix
- Add spice blend of salt, coriander, red chili, cumin and garam masala powders
- Mix this for 2-3 minutes and add 3 cups of rajma water. Save the last cup if the consistency is too thick.
- Add beans and mix for 2-3 minutes and close pot and let cook on low heat for 10 minutes
- Turn off stove and add butter and cilantro to finish dish
- Serve over rice or along side roti
All ingredients in this dish can be found at our Bharat Bazar Stores. If you're in Union City, Fremont or Sunnyvale please come see us!
We hope you enjoyed this great dish and hope you make it for your family and friends.
If you haven't already, subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a post as we celebrate Indian culture.
Check out what's new with our Sunnyvale Store!
Check out our latest post!
Check out what the buzz in Fremont is all about!
India is full of mystery - check out this post as we uncover some of it!
Check out our latest recipe!
Read this post before you get familiar with Yoga
Why you need a Masala Dabba!