What is Neem - 8 Benefits from this Wonder Tree
Thailand has coconuts, Hawaii has pineapples, California has its poppies and India has Neem.
Neem is a tree that is native to the Indian sub-continent. It has been used for generations - mainly in Ayurvedic practices.
The roots, leaves, branches and seeds of the Neem tree are ubiquitous around South-Asia and today its by-products can be found in many health and grocery stores including yours truly at Bharat Bazar.
When applied, Neem carries many benefits - including but not restricted to helping with weight loss, maintaining sugar levels in the body and its wide array of treatments for the skin.
Today I wanted to touch on some of the benefits of Neem and hope you make this amazing perennial plant a part of your daily life.
8 benefits of Neem
1. It lowers blood sugar. Consuming too much sugar narrows the blood vessels. This is the problem that many people with diabetes suffer from. Neem has the ability to dilate the vessels and create more blood flow to the heart and brain - making for a healthier vascular system.
2. It acts as an anti-virus for the body. Throughout our day the body comes face to face with lots of elements that comprise the body. Neem, specifically its leaves has the ability to stick to different viruses and flushes it away from the body. In essence, it becomes the perfect preventive measure against getting sick.
3. Oral Health - Neem has many antiseptic compounds that promote healthy gums and fight against cavities. Neem is also an active ingredient in many toothpastes and mouthwashes.
4. Insect Repellent - Neem can be an excellent product for those that are looking for a natural and unprocessed remedy against mosquitoes, flies and other parasites. Although the smell of Neem can be hard to get used to at first, insects hate it and stay away.
5. It’s a natural detox - Neem carries compounds that stimulate the liver and kidneys. By giving these powerful organs the fuel from this plant - they work overtime to remove and destroy elements in the body that do nothing to promote health. Not only does Neem remove toxins but it optimizes metabolism.
6. Digestion - Certain foods and a sedentary lifestyle can wreak havoc on our bodies. The intestines which transport waste can get inflamed. Neem is an anti-inflammatory and can prevent and diagnose constipation and other bowel problems.
7. Antioxidant - Most plants carry anti-oxidant type properties and Neem is no exception. Our bodies are in constant war with the elements of nature. As soon as we walk outside we are bombarded with these elements. Neem neutralizes free-radicals to keep us healthy.
8. Skin - Neem oil in particular promotes healthy skin by preventing and ridding facial and body of acne. It’s fatty-acid content helps against the redness, inflammation of the skin and becomes an excellent moisturizer.
If you haven't already. please join our mailing list were we share our recent blog posts. We research, write and share videos on health/wellness, recipes and current news with our stores.
Anand Swamy Blogger @bharatbazar