Video on How to Make Dal from Bharat Bazar (Indian Style Lentils)
Dal serves as a staple dish for many Indian households. It’s healthy, flavorful, rich and goes great with rice.
Our Pooja brand items went into making this delicious dish. You can find them and more at all our Bharat Bazar locations. Please visit us the next to time you think of cooking something wonderful.
Enjoy the video and below we have a thorough breakdown of the entire recipe.
Ingredients for dal (lentils)
- Lentils - 1 cup and 4 cups water
- Ghee- 3 tsp.
- Curry leaves - 5-7 curry leaves
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- cumin seeds ½ tsp
- Thai chilies - 3-6 (depends on spice tolerance)
- Cilantro - ½ bunch
- Turmeric - ½ tsp.
- Salt - to taste - ½ tsp to start
- Garlic paste - 3 tsp.
- Onions ½ onion
- Lemon Juice - ½ lemon
- Wash lentils - use cold water and gently mix the raw dal to clean excess dirt about 3-4 times
- Add 4-5 cups of water for every cup to cup ½ of lentils
- Bring lentils to a boil (should be about 25-30 minutes)
- While it’s boiling add 2 tsp. Of garlic paste, desired amount of chillies, ½ tsp. of turmeric, 1 tsp. of salt and 1 tsp. of ghee.
- Once the dal is soft - transfer it to another pot (use the back of your spoon to smash dal or use potato masher to check consistency to make sure it’s soft)
- Use a clean pot and start the saute process. Put pot on high heat and add 2 tsp. of ghee, cumin and mustard seeds, sliced onion, 1 tsp. of garlic paste, curry leaves.
- Sauté this mixture for 3-5 minutes and then add lentils back into pot.
- Let simmer for 2-4 minutes and add the juice of ½ a lemon and ½ bunch of cilantro
- Add more salt if needed and if Dal is too thick, you can more more water.
Cook this for your friends and family, they'll love it!
Do you like learning about Indian foods and products? If so, Please subscribe to future blogs here. (more posts on health, wellness and delicious indian recipes coming soon)