Delicious Chana Dal Fry Recipe from Bharat Bazar!!!
Dal is traditionally made from Toor Dal, but for this recipe we used chana (chickpeas). It has a bold and nutty flavor.
This recipe takes humble ingredients and transforms them into a delicious, hearty, healthy and savory dish that your friends and family are sure to enjoy!!
Check out our latest Video!
- 1 cup of chana dal (make sure you have it soaked for at least an hour)
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 chopped tomatos
- 2 pieces of black cardamom
- 2-3 dried cloves
- 1 piece of mace
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 tsp. of ginger paste
- 2 tsp. of garlic paste
- 1 tsp. of cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chilis
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp. hing
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 bunch of chopped cilantro leaves and dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
- 4 tsp. of olive oil
- Soak chana for 1 hour before putting it in pressure cooker with 2 cups of water. Let cook for 2-3 whistles or until soft
- grind black cardamom, mace, cinnamon stick and dried cloves and put to the side
- Once chana is done, put to the side
- In a separate pan on high heat add 4 tsp. of olive oil.
- Add in cumin seeds, bay leaves and red chilies. Mix for one minute
- Add in garlic and ginger paste. Mix for one minute
- Add in onions. Mix for one minute
- Add in 1/4 tsp. of hing.
- Add in black cardamom, cinnamon stick, mace and dried gloves mixture. Mix for one minute
- Add tomatoes. Mix for one minute
- Add 1 tsp. of turmeric powder and Bharat Bazars Organic Daily Brand Red Chili powder
- Add chana and mix all ingredients together
- Add salt to taste and garam masala powder and let cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add water is consistency is too thick
- Turn of heat and finish dish with fresh cilantro and dried fenugreek (methi) leaves
If you liked this recipe check out our past ones!
- Dal Curry
- Mushroom Curry
- Indian Style Scrambled Eggs
- Rajma Curry
- Chana Masala
- Tamatar Ki Chutney
- Aloo gobi
If you haven't already, subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a post as we celebrate Indian culture and food!
Happy Thanksgiving - check out our latest post!
Check out our newest recipes!
Check out our latest recipe!
Some cool facts about Indian Spices!
At Bharat Bazar, we are proud Indians. Are you?